Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Road Trip: San Luis Obispo

On a recent work trip to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo to recruit architecture students, I stopped in at one of my favorite local restaurants, Firestone Grill.  Entering off the street, you cross the patio with three outdoor fireplaces as you head to the order taker inside the restaurant, you already smell the delicious barbecue on the grill.  It wasn't until I stood in line looking up at the menu on the wall that I realized, in my relatively new pescatarian state, that I would not be ordering my favorite, "The Pig", a shredded bbq pork sandwich that is one of the best I've ever had. 

This sudden realization was the first time in 20 days that I had been challenged by really wanting to eat meat over sticking to my decision to not eat meat.  With the air thick with bbq aromas and knowing that The Pig is a great sandwich, it was not an easy decision.  With a sigh, I ordered the Veggie Avocado sandwich and a pint of Firestone DBA.  My friend did not.  She ordered The Pig without hesitation.  Not only did I have to forego eating The Pig, I had to sit and watch someone else eat it!

Luckily we were able split a basket of awesome onion rings and fries to help suffer the loss!

(note:  I typed this post on 1/22 but forgot to publish it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment