Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Week 1 Reflection

10 days down, we're going strong as Ovo Lacto Pescatarians. My menu planning was too aggressive and we had more food than we could possibly eat at the start.  After a couple of days, we dialed back the menu and figured out what works and what doesn't. What works is keeping it simple. 

We have always been big fruit and veggie eaters, but now - wow - we are seriously going through groceries!  I'm finding myself at the market more often, which doesn't work  I need to fine tune my planning and shopping, which is shocking to say.  I am a master planner.  My warranty is going out on so many other working parts of me, it isn't that surprising that my planning capability needs some fine tuning too.  Good thing all my warranty items can be fixed!

Except the two bites of steak my husband had after being tortured by the fabulous smell while grilling steaks for our son's birthday dinner of choice - remember the kids are are still omnivorous.  He later declared the steak was good but it wasn't worth eating.  Instead of steak, we ate Halibut with Pineapple Avocado Salsa, an Everyday Food magazine recipe (Jan/Feb 2012) that was fabulous. 

If you've tried my Bean and Cheese Burritos, try the sauce on Huevos Rancheros with black beans and poached eggs.   Salmon with potatoes and kale rate high as did the mushroom, barley and zucchini soup. 

Part of the fun, and confusion in planning, is the number of new recipes we are trying. Our favorite new recipe is eggplant baked with lentils and tomatoes.  The black bean soup was mediocre at best and will not be on future menus.

The dinners ahead include cheese ravioli with marinara, bell peppers with corn filling and chili rice, vegetable and tofu pad thai, warm quinoa salad with shrimp and asparagus and grilled veggie pita pizzas. 

Do I notice anything different with changing our diet?  I don't miss meat.  The kids are trying new foods and seem to enjoy what will be put on the table next.  Our youngest thinks we're out to torture him...perhaps we are.  Our 8 year old has decided he doesn't want to eat meat, just bacon and ham.  Our 11 year old wants meat only meals and can his friends come over?  Our 17 year old daughter who has been griping about eating meat forever was excited initially over our new eating plan.  She lasted two days.  She caved for chicken chow mein.  My body composition is changing, definitely not eating the amount of fat as before. I have lost a few pounds (in my elbows - nowhere noticeable).

So far, so good.  How are you doing on your resolutions?  Any diet or lifestyle modifications?

I'm motivated and inspired by the responses and reactions I receive to my blog posts.  Let me know your comments and thoughts - even the tongue in cheek comments by those of you who think dried beans are for art projects. I love a good laugh.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment