Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bean & Cheese Burritos: By Request

When I'm winning the "mean mom" award of the week from my kids, I remind them that I'm not trying to win any popularity contests.  I am their mom for the love of the game, in good times and bad.

This is my same philosophy with cooking.  I don't plan and prepare meals to win popularity contests, I plan and prepare meals to be as healthy and consciencious as possible.  Sometimes I get lucky and everyone likes what I cook too! 

One family favorite is Bean and Cheese Burritos.  I make the burritos in bulk and freeze for later.

I was telling a friend about the burritos and how my youngest has eaten 8+ this week alone.  I received an email from another friend whose daughter was listening in on my conversation and went home and told her!  Word of mouth marketing at its best! 

Here is my Bean and Cheese Burrito recipe that your family will tell their freinds, who will tell their friends, and their friends...and their friends!

Makes 30-35 burritos based on how big you want your burritos.

5 lbs dry pinto beans

Put beans in large pot - I use a 10L stock pot.  Fill pan with water.  Soak beans overnight - at least 12 hours. Drain beans. Put back in pot. 

Add water to cover 2" higher than beans.  Bring to boil.  Cover.  Cook for 2 hours.  Beans should be soft.

Add:

3 onions, chopped
2 T. granulated garlic
4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 T. salt
2 T. chili powder
2 tsp. oregano
1 bay leaf

Cook for 1 hour.

To make the burritos:

30+ flour tortillas.  I use Mission Large Burrito size, 16 to a pack
Cheese.  I use 3 bags of Trader Joes Mexican Blend shredded cheese.  Yes, I'll spend 3 hours making beans but I'm too lazy to shred my own cheese combination.

Warm entire package of tortillas in the microwave 1 minute to soften and make folding easier.

One tortilla at a time, add a scoop or two of beans - eyeball it - whatever looks good for your family.  Top with a handful of cheese, again, eyeball it. 

Fold in sides of burrito and roll up from front to back.  Ole  - a burrito!

Wrap in foil, put in freezer bag.  Freeze.  I usually freeze 5-6 per bag.

You will have a freezer full in no time.  These burritos make great after school snacks, quick before or after sport meals and are incredibly inexpensive.

To reheat, unwrap foil.  Put on plate.  Put in microwave.  Cook for 2 minutes, turn burrito over.  Cook for 2 more minutes.  We have a reheat button on our microwave that does the job, we don't bother with flipping.  Work with what you've got.

The fun is not over yet.  Know me well enough to know that I don't slap a burrito on a plate and call it a meal.  I top the burrito with steamed vegetables - cabbage, yam, zucchini, and onion is a great start - and ranchero sauce...and avocado and maybe a bit of sour cream too.

Ranchero Sauce:

1 onion, chopped small
4 1/2 c. water

Bring to boil.  Cook onion until tender.

Add:

1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. granulated garlic

Cook for 2 minutes.

To thicken sauce, mix together:
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 T. whole wheat flour (you can use regular white flour, just use less)
add enough water to make thin paste

Add paste to pan, stirring constantly.
Allow sauce to cook over low heat for 10 minutes to thicken.

Layer it up!  Burrito - Steamed Veggies - Ranchero Sauce - Avocado - Sour Cream.
FABULOUS!

This is one of my family's absolute favorite meals.  I hope it becomes your family's favorite too!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment