Sunday, November 13, 2011

Homage to Potage: The end is closer than you thought

Our youngest, age 6, asked when soup was once again was served for dinner, "are you trying to kill us?"  With soup.  Yes.  Call CPS now, this is my weapon of choice.  Sign that boy up with a theater troupe.  Sheesh.
Day 9:  Lentil Vegetable Soup.  Another Spot vegetarian restaurant recipe that has graced our table many many times.  Lentils are fast cooking beans, no need to soak, just through them in a pot of water and shazam, soup.  The veggie combination varies but typically has onion, carrot, celery, yam, potatoes, broccoli and zucchini.  Sometimes I puree the soup, sometimes not.  The kids prefer it pureed.  Me, not so much.  I always serve cornbread with lentil soup.

A word on cornbread. The best cornbread recipe is on the side of the box of Albers cornmeal - not their cornbread recipe on the back of the box but the sweet corn muffin recipe on the side of the box.  I modify the recipe to reduce the sugar the recipe calls for and I add a can of corn.  I never make corn muffins.  I bake the entire recipe in a cast iron skillet or 9 x 13 pan.

That's it.  No more soup.  Not entirely.  I've had foot surgery and stocked my fridge and freezer with my favorites, chicken vegetable soup and vegetarian split pea.  I also stocked the fridge and freezer with family friendly easy to re-heat meals while I'm laid up for a few weeks.

My 30 day soup plan didn't work out but it was fun while it lasted.

The best part - hearing from you that my silly homage inspired you to make soup. 

Thanks for reading my blog and enjoying soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment