Friday, December 9, 2011

Breakfast Extravaganza!

The other day I posted on Facebook:

Up at 4:30 today, just because. I accomplish so much before everyone rises. Making waffles (homemade, not eggo) for breakfast before heading into the office today. Good morning!

First, I don't wake up that early often, it was great to have time to myself.  Second, I work full time, from home, as a corporate recruiter for an international design firm.  Going into the office is a rare, maybe monthly occurence. So to be up, ready, getting stuff done and making waffles - I was on a roll and feeling awesome.   My son was sick so I never made it into the office that day but the waffles were great.

I received a request for my waffle recipe.  Like most everything I do (at least cook), there is prior proper preparation involved.

Instead of buying Bisquick or other prefab baking mix product, I make my own. I have a designated 3.9 L Tupperware container for my pancake and waffle mix. I multiply the dry ingredients of my 1963 McCall's cookbook recipe (below) for bulk storage and write the needed wet ingredients on the side of the container to make a small batch.  Super easy. 

All Purpose Pancake/Waffle Recipe - single batch recipe:

Dry ingredients:
1 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp brown sugar

My container holds 8 batches of these dry ingredients - enough pancakes/waffles for a month for my family.

On the side of my container I write the following wet ingredients to make a single batch:

3 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk (or use regular milk)
2 T. butter, melted

Mix, cook - either on griddle or in waffle maker, serve. 

Variations:
My family enjoys the following variations that I add, in any combination, prior to cooking:
- protein powder and ground flax seed
- bananas
- chocolate chips
- toasted pecans
- blueberries or blackberries

Most waffle recipes I've used call for stiff egg whites.  The stiff egg whites make the waffle crunchy, and is nice if you have time.  I don't always have time so the above recipe works great.

The beauty of the container of pre-made mix is that it's a DIY for the hubby and kids.  Sure, you can buy a box of Bisquick for the same effect.  But you could by frozen pancakes and waffles too.  It's so easy to DIY, why not?

A couple of my "friends" joke that I tap the maple tree in my backyard for maple syrup.  Though it is true I only use pure maple syrup (Aunt Jemima doesn't live at my house), I don't own a maple tree.  I am a DIY-er, I cook, sew, bake and craft. but I don't distill - syrup or alcohol.  I know my limits.  Today.

DIY, you can do it!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you have a blog. Thank you for sharing your recipe, what type of waffle iron do you have? I have a cheap one that doesn't work very well and I am ready to upgrade.
    -shelly

    ReplyDelete