Monday, May 9, 2011

Confessions from my Pantry

We all have our issues.  Some are secret, not visible on the surface.  Others, like mine, are obvious. (I love lines that make me laugh from the inside out.)  My issue is collecting food.  I don't save every last morsel of leftovers wrapped in tin foil like I was raised in the depression...then I would truly be my beloved Mother In Law (aka MIL).  My issue results from the love of grocery shopping.  I can barely tolerate clothes shopping.  Shoe shopping isn't fun because I have an old lady bunion/foot problem that needs to be corrected.   As a result, I collect food.  I guess this is the byproduct of my affection for recipes, cookbooks and other cookery. 

I cleaned out my pantry and freezer this weekend.  I saw a moth and freaked.  I think it was the oat bran improperly resealed, but not for certain.  My pantry is 47" wide, 6' high and 23" deep.  Plenty big enough for my collection! 

I love my pantry.  Now that it's cleaned and straightened, it looks good, it smells good, and it inspires me with its crazy variety of contents.  I have 37 spices, not including salt and pepper.  I counted them as I restocked the pantry and thought of my friend in Arizona who once told me whenever she made a recipe that called for a spice she didn't have, she skipped it. Yikes! Would you (could you?) make chili without chili powder? I made a list of the ones I know I'm missing and plan to get them soon.  I have an herb garden, but I can't grow everything - tumeric, curry, nutmeg...or can I?

Now that I've organzied/reorganzied my collection, I realize that I need to focus my menu this week on what I have stocked up.  Take a look at your pantry and freezer and use what you have before adding more on top!

Monday - Meatloaf and baked potatoes and green beans- this is carried over from last week - I never made it and it still sounds good!

Tuesday - Lentil Soup and cornbread - a classic - and a complete protein. 

Wednesday - Pasta with tuna, capers and white wine sauce

Thursday - Grilled chicken breast with quinoa, olives & herbs

Friday - In & Out - Flag Football Game and School Carnival

Saturday - Killer Shrimp - this is an awesome combination of flavors, serve in bowls, dip bread in broth
(Killer Shrimp was a fav restaurant in Marina del Rey in the 90's)
2 tbl rosemary
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp fennel seed
2 quarts chicken broth
8 oz clam juice
3 oz tomato paste
1/2 lb butter
2 lbs shrimp or prawns, tails on
French Bread

Sunday - Roast Chicken, potatoes and carrots and most likely, artichokes!

Be inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment